Jyanpith Award & Important Facts:
- Jnanpith Award is a literary award in India.
- Along with the Sahitya Akademi Fellowship it is one of the two most prestigious literary honours in the country.
- Jyanpith Award was instituted in 1961.
- First Jyanpith Awardee was G. Sankara Kurup for his work Odakkuzhal (Flute) in Malayalam in year 1965 .
- It is presented by the Bharatiya Jnanpith, a trust founded by the Sahu Jain family, the publishers of the newspaper The Times of India.
- As of 2014 most Jananpith award winners, ten have been writing in Hindi followed by eight in Kannada, five each in Bengali and Malayalam, four each in Oriya and Urdu and three each in Gujarati, Marathi and Telugu and two each in Assamese and Tamil.
- The 48th Jnanpith award for the year 2012 conferred to Telugu writer Ravuri Bharadhwaja.